Sunday, January 18, 2009

Packing Day, Maximum Strength

One of the requirements of the Maximum Strength program is to go through a pre-workout test day, called Packing Day. You take five performance tests which you will compare at the end of the four phases. I've never really done anything like this, but it seems to me like a great way to start any workout regimen. Otherwise, how are you going to know if your plan is helping you achieve your goals. 
After doing some foam rolling and some mobility drills, we started warming up for our lifts. I was a little worried for my wife, Kate, because she's never tried to test her 1RM (one rep max). So nothing too much out of her comfort zone. 
Still, I think she did great:
Broad Jump - 80 inches
Box Squat - 145 lbs
Bench Press - 95 lbs
Deadlift - 125 lbs
Chin-up - 1 rep  @ 153.5

As for my numbers, they're not that impressive. But keep in mind that I was born sans powerlifting gene:
Broad Jump - 96 inches
Box Squat - 205
Bench Press - 175
Deadlift - 285
3-rep Chin-up - 225 (170 lbs bodyweight + 55 lbs external load)

My goals here are to add 10-15 lbs on each lift. Unless, of course, I get buried under a heavy bar for shooting too high.


As for my wife, being that she's never done anything remotely close to this workout, I'm very excited to see how she'll do. 
I'll post back here after tomorrow's workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment